Re: [REVIEW] Re: Compression of full-page-writes

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Rahila Syed <rahilasyed90(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [REVIEW] Re: Compression of full-page-writes
Date: 2015-02-26 23:01:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 6:54 AM, Rahila Syed <rahilasyed90(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>>Even this patch doesn't work fine. The standby emit the following
>>error messages.
>
> Yes this bug remains unsolved. I am still working on resolving this.
>
> Following chunk IDs have been added in the attached patch as suggested
> upthread.
> +#define XLR_CHUNK_BLOCK_REFERENCE 0x10
> +#define XLR_CHUNK_BLOCK_HAS_IMAGE 0x04
> +#define XLR_CHUNK_BLOCK_HAS_DATA 0x08
>
> XLR_CHUNK_BLOCK_REFERENCE denotes chunk ID of block references.
> XLR_CHUNK_BLOCK_HAS_IMAGE is a replacement of BKPBLOCK_HAS_IMAGE
> and XLR_CHUNK_BLOCK_HAS DATA a replacement of BKPBLOCK_HAS_DATA.

Before sending a new version, be sure that this get fixed by for
example building up a master with a standby replaying WAL, and running
make installcheck-world or similar. If the standby does not complain
at all, you have good chances to not have bugs. You could also build
with WAL_DEBUG to check record consistency.
--
Michael