Re: Allow interrupts on waiting standby

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Allow interrupts on waiting standby
Date: 2017-03-21 04:29:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 5:14 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Couple of thoughts on this patch ---

Thanks!

> 1. Shouldn't WaitExceedsMaxStandbyDelay's CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS be moved to
> after the WaitLatch call? Not much point in being woken immediately by
> an interrupt if you're not going to respond.
>
> 2. Is it OK to ResetLatch here? If the only possible latch event in this
> process is interrupt requests, then I think WaitLatch, then ResetLatch,
> then CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS is OK; but otherwise it seems like you risk
> discarding events that need to be serviced later.

Right, I have switched to WaitLatch(), ResetLatch() and then
CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS().

> 3. In the same vein, if we're going to check WL_POSTMASTER_DEATH, should
> there be a test for that and immediate exit(1) here?

OK, if the postmaster has died, there is not much recovery conflict
needed anyway.

> 4. I'd be inclined to increase the sleep interval only if we did time out,
> not if we were awakened by some other event.

OK, that makes sense.

> 5. The comment about maximum sleep length needs some work. At first
> glance you might think that without the motivation of preventing long
> uninterruptible sleeps, we might as well allow the sleep length to grow
> well past 1s. I think that'd be bad, because we want to wake up
> reasonably soon after the xact(s) we're waiting for commit. But neither
> the original text nor the proposed replacement mention this.

OK, I did some work on this comment.

What do you think about the updated version attached?
--
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
standby-delay-latch-v3.patch application/octet-stream 3.7 KB