Re: Partitioning WIP patch

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Partitioning WIP patch
Date: 2015-02-27 00:57:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 3:24 AM, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On 2015-02-26 12:15:17 +0900, Amit Langote wrote:
>
>> > I would love to have it for 9.5, but I guess the
>> > patch isn't nearly baked enough for that?
>
>> I'm not quite sure what would qualify as baked enough for 9.5 though we
>> can surely try to reach some consensus on various implementation aspects
>> and perhaps even get it ready in time for 9.5.
>
> I think it's absolutely unrealistic to get this into 9.5. There's barely
> been any progress on the current (last!) commitfest - where on earth
> should the energy come to make this patch ready? And why would that be
> fair against all the others that have submitted in time?

+1. There are many other patches pending the in CF app waiting for
feedback, while this one showed up after the last CF deadline for 9.5
and needs design and spec decisions that should not be taken lightly
at the end of a major release development cycle. Please let's not rush
into something we may regret.
--
Michael