Re: pg_reorg in core?

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>
Subject: Re: pg_reorg in core?
Date: 2012-09-26 00:38:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 4:42 AM, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>wrote:

> > For me, the Postgres user interface should include
> > * REINDEX CONCURRENTLY
> > * CLUSTER CONCURRENTLY
> > * ALTER TABLE CONCURRENTLY
> > and also that autovacuum would be expanded to include REINDEX and
> > CLUSTER, renaming it to automaint.
>
> FWIW, +1 to all those user requirements, and for not having pg_reorg
> simply moved as-is nearer to core. I would paint the shed "autoheal",
> maybe.

Yes, completely agreed.
Based on what Simon is suggesting, REINDEX and CLUSTER extensions
are prerequisites for autovacuum extension. It would need to use a mechanism
that it slightly different than pg_reorg. ALTER TABLE could used something
close
to pg_reorg by creating a new table then swaping the 2 tables. The cases of
column
drop and addition particularly need some thoughts.

I would like to work on such features and provide patches for the 2 first.
This will of
course strongly depend on the time I can spend on in the next couple of
months.
--
Michael Paquier
http://michael.otacoo.com