Re: Setting pd_lower in GIN metapage

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Setting pd_lower in GIN metapage
Date: 2017-09-13 07:20:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 2:48 PM, Amit Langote
<Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
> I updated the patches so that the metapage's pd_lower is set to the
> correct value just before *every* point where we are about to insert a
> full page image of the metapage into WAL. That's in addition to doing the
> same in various metapage init routines, which the original patch did
> already anyway. I guess this now ensures that wal_consistency_checking
> masking of these metapages as standard layout pages always works, even for
> pre-v11 indexes that were upgraded.

Please note that I do have plans to look at all the patches proposed
on this thread for all the indexes next. No report for today though as
those deal with many code paths so it requires some attention. I think
I'll group the review for all index AMs into the same email if you
don't mind, each patch deals with its own thing in its own
src/backend/access/ path.
--
Michael