Re: Enforce creation of destination folders for source files in pg_regress (Was: pg_regress writes into source tree)

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Enforce creation of destination folders for source files in pg_regress (Was: pg_regress writes into source tree)
Date: 2015-02-20 06:56:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 5:50 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> On 1/14/15 11:31 PM, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> pg_regress will fail with test suites using only source files if the
>> destination folders do not exist in the code tree. This is annoying
>> because this forces to maintain empty folders sql/ and expected/ with
>> a .gitignore ignoring everything.
>
> We'd still need the .gitignore files somewhere. Do you want to move
> them one directory up?

I am not sure I am getting what you are pointing to... For extensions
that already have non-empty sql/ and expected/, they should have their
own ignore entries as sql/.gitignore and expected/.gitignore. The
point of the patch is to simplify the code tree of extensions that
need to keep empty sql/ and expected/, for example to be able to run
regression tests after a fresh repository clone for example.
--
Michael