Re: Enforce creation of destination folders for source files in pg_regress (Was: pg_regress writes into source tree)

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Enforce creation of destination folders for source files in pg_regress (Was: pg_regress writes into source tree)
Date: 2015-02-20 21:51:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2/20/15 1:56 AM, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> We'd still need the .gitignore files somewhere. Do you want to move
>> them one directory up?
>
> I am not sure I am getting what you are pointing to... For extensions
> that already have non-empty sql/ and expected/, they should have their
> own ignore entries as sql/.gitignore and expected/.gitignore. The
> point of the patch is to simplify the code tree of extensions that
> need to keep empty sql/ and expected/, for example to be able to run
> regression tests after a fresh repository clone for example.

The affected modules have sql/.gitignore and/or expected/.gitignore
files, so the case that the directory doesn't exist and needs to be
created doesn't actually happen.

You could argue that these .gitignore files don't actually belong there,
but your patch doesn't change or move those files, and even modules that
have non-empty sql/ or expected/ directories have .gitignore files
there, so it is considered the appropriate location.