Re: Yet another vectorized engine

From: Hubert Zhang <hzhang(at)pivotal(dot)io>
To: Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Gang Xiong <gxiong(at)pivotal(dot)io>, Asim R P <apraveen(at)pivotal(dot)io>, Ning Yu <nyu(at)pivotal(dot)io>
Subject: Re: Yet another vectorized engine
Date: 2020-02-25 08:06:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Konstantin,

I checkout your branch pg13 in repo
https://github.com/zhangh43/vectorize_engine
After I fixed some compile error, I tested Q1 on TPCH-10G
The result is different from yours and vectorize version is too slow. Note
that I disable parallel worker by default.
no JIT no Vectorize: 36 secs
with JIT only: 23 secs
with Vectorize only: 33 secs
JIT + Vectorize: 29 secs

My config option is `CFLAGS='-O3 -g -march=native'
--prefix=/usr/local/pgsql/ --disable-cassert --enable-debug --with-llvm`
I will do some spike on why vectorized is so slow. Could you please provide
your compile option and the TPCH dataset size and your queries(standard
Q1?) to help me to debug on it.

On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 8:43 PM Hubert Zhang <hzhang(at)pivotal(dot)io> wrote:

> Hi Konstantin,
> I have added you as a collaborator on github. Please accepted and try
> again.
> I think non collaborator could also open pull requests.
>
> On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 8:02 PM Konstantin Knizhnik <
> k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:
>

>> On 24.02.2020 05:08, Hubert Zhang wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> On Sat, Feb 22, 2020 at 12:58 AM Konstantin Knizhnik <
>> k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:
>>

>>> On 12.02.2020 13:12, Hubert Zhang wrote:

>>> Thanks for the test. +1 on vectorize should be combine with columnar
>>> store. I think when we support this extension
>>> on master, we could try the new zedstore.
>>> I'm not active on this work now, but will continue when I have time.
>>> Feel free to join bring vops's feature into this extension.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Hubert Zhang
>>>

>>> I have ported vectorize_engine to the master.
>>> It takes longer than I expected: a lot of things were changed in
>>> executor.
>>>
>>> Results are the following:
>>>

>>> par.warkers
>>> PG9_6