Re: GSoC 2018: thrift encoding format

From: Vladimir Sitnikov <sitnikov(dot)vladimir(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Aleksander Alekseev <a(dot)alekseev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Charles Cui <charles(dot)cui1984(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Anastasia Lubennikova <a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: GSoC 2018: thrift encoding format
Date: 2018-05-03 16:19:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>Personally I think raw data bytes are OK if functions for getting all
keys and values from this data are provided

What is the purpose of using Thrift "encoding" if it turns out to be a
simple wrapper for existing binary data?

Do you mean the goal is to have "get/set" functions to fetch data out of
bytea field?

Frankly speaking, I can hardly imagine why one would want to store MAP
Datum inside Thrift inside bytea.

Vladimir