Re: pgadmin4 login page

From: "Peter S(dot) Shenkin" <shenkin(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Brent Vaughn <Vaughn(at)climatecontrolgroup(dot)com>
Cc: "pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgadmin4 login page
Date: 2017-05-09 01:35:57
Lists: pgadmin-support

​I'm a newbie at DB admin and have been trying to understand similar
issues. So the following might not be completely right; but hopefully it's
a step in the right direction and someone with more experience can amplify
or correct.

My sense is that what PostgreSQL expects you to do is to GRANT permissions
to specific users for specific actions. If someone can make changes from
pgAdmin that you don't think they should be allowed to make, it presumably
indicates that permissions have been GRANTed them in the underlying DB that
shouldn't have been.

I find that if I run pgAdmin as a "regular" user and then try to do
something that only a privileged user can do, I get a login screen to enter
the "postgres" password. Right now, the only users I have are peons and
postgres, so I don't know how this extends to those with intermediate
levels of privilege.

-P.