Speeding up parts of the planner using a binary search tree structure for nodes

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Speeding up parts of the planner using a binary search tree structure for nodes
Date: 2020-05-29 05:16:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

In [1] I mentioned that I'd like to look into coding a data structure
to allow Node types to be looked up more efficiently than what List
allows. There are many places in the planner where we must determine
if a given Node is in some List of Nodes. This is an O(n) operation.
We could reduce these to as low as O(log n) with a binary search tree.

A few places in the code that does this which can become a problem
when the lists being searched are large:

get_eclass_for_sort_expr()
tlist_member()

For the former, it's quite easy to see this come up in the profiles by
querying a partitioned table with many partitions. e.g

create table listp (a int) partition by list(a);
select 'create table listp'||x::Text || ' partition of listp for
values in('||x::text||');' from generate_Series(1,10000)x;
\gexec
create index on listp(a);
explain select * from listp order by a;

There are a few places that this new data structure could be used. My
primary interest at the moment is EquivalenceClass.ec_members. There
are perhaps other interesting places, such as planner targetlists, but
obviously, any changes would need to be proved worthwhile before
they're made.

Per what I mentioned in [1], I'd like this structure to be a binary
search tree, (either a red/black or AVL binary search tree compacted
into an array.) So instead of having ->left ->right pointers, we have
left and right offsets back into the array. This allows very fast and
cache-friendly unordered traversals of the tree, as it's an array
whenever we want it to be and a tree when we need to perform a lookup
of a specific value. Because I'm not using a true tree, i.e pointers
to elements, then it does not appear like I can use rbtree.c

The first step to make this work is to modify equalfuncs.c to add an
equalCompare() function which will return an int to indicate the sort
order of the node against another node. I've drafted a patch to
implement this and attached it here. I've done this in 2 phases, 0001
creates and implements datatype specific macros for the comparisons.
Doing this allows us to optimise the bool/char field comparison macros
in 0002 so we can do a simple subtransaction rather than 2
comparisons. The 0002 patch modifies each comparison macro and changes
all the equal functions to return int rather than bool. The external
comparison function is equalCompare(). equal() just calls
equalCompare() and checks the value returned is 0.

With both patches, there is an increase in size of about 17% for the
object file for equalfuncs:

equalfuncs.o
Master: 56768 bytes
Patched: 66912 bytes

If I don't use the macros specifically optimised for bool and char,
then the size is 68240 bytes. So I think doing 0001 is worth it.

This does break the API for ExtensibleNodeMethods as it's no longer
enough to just have nodeEqual(). In the 0002 patch I've changed this
to nodeCompare(). Extension authors who are using this will need to
alter their code to implement a proper comparison function.

For now, I'm mostly just interested in getting feedback about making
this change to equalfuncs.c. Does anyone object to it?

David

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAKJS1f8v-fUG8YpaAGj309ZuALo3aEk7f6cqMHr_AVwz1fKXug%40mail.gmail.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Refactor-equal-funcs-to-use-macros-specific-to-the-d.patch application/octet-stream 73.4 KB
0002-Add-equalCompare-function-to-compare-node-types.patch application/octet-stream 77.2 KB