Re: Should we make Bitmapsets a kind of Node?

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Should we make Bitmapsets a kind of Node?
Date: 2021-02-01 22:57:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2 Feb 2021 at 09:23, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Now that commit f003a7522 did away with the partitioned_rels fields,
> my original motivation for doing $SUBJECT is gone. It might still be
> worth doing, but I'm not planning to tackle it right now.

I'm not sure if the misuse of Lists to store non-Node types should be
all that surprising. lappend() accepts a void pointer rather than a
Node *. I also didn't catch anything that indicates storing non-Node
types is bad practise.

Maybe it's worth still adding something to some comments in list.c to
try and reduce the chances of someone making this mistake again in the
future?

David