Re: Recording test runtimes with the buildfarm

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Recording test runtimes with the buildfarm
Date: 2020-06-10 21:13:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 at 02:13, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> I have in the past scraped the latter results and tried to make sense of
> them. They are *mighty* noisy, even when considering just one animal
> that I know to be running on a machine with little else to do.

Do you recall if you looked at the parallel results or the serially
executed ones?

I imagine that the parallel ones will have much more noise since we
run the tests up to 20 at a time. I imagine probably none, or at most
not many of the animals have enough CPU cores not to be context
switching a lot during those the parallel runs. I thought the serial
ones would be better but didn't have an idea of they'd be good enough
to be useful.

David