Re: Recording test runtimes with the buildfarm

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Recording test runtimes with the buildfarm
Date: 2020-06-10 21:43:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 2:13 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> I have in the past scraped the latter results and tried to make sense of
> them. They are *mighty* noisy, even when considering just one animal
> that I know to be running on a machine with little else to do. Maybe
> averaging across the whole buildfarm could reduce the noise level, but
> I'm not very hopeful. Per-test-script times would likely be even
> noisier (ISTM anyway, maybe I'm wrong).

I've been doing that in a little database that pulls down the results
and analyses them with primitive regexes. First I wanted to know the
pass/fail history for each individual regression, isolation and TAP
script, then I wanted to build something that could identify tests
that are 'flapping', and work out when the started and stopped
flapping etc. I soon realised it was all too noisy, but then I
figured that I could fix that by detecting crashes. So I classify
every top level build farm run as SUCCESS, FAILURE or CRASH. If the
top level run was CRASH, than I can disregard the individual per
script results, because they're all BS.