Re: Berserk Autovacuum (let's save next Mandrill)

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Darafei Komяpa Praliaskouski <me(at)komzpa(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Berserk Autovacuum (let's save next Mandrill)
Date: 2020-03-30 02:04:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 29 Mar 2020 at 15:29, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I'm considering pushing the attached to try to get some confirmation
> that additional autovacuums are the issue. However, I'm not too sure
> it's a wise idea to as I can trigger an additional auto-vacuum and
> have these new tests fail with make installcheck after setting
> autovacuum_naptime to 1s, but I'm not getting the other diffs
> experienced by lousyjack and petalura. The patch may just cause more
> failures without proving much, especially so with slower machines.

Instead of the above, I ended up modifying the two intermittently
failing tests to change the ANALYZE into a VACUUM ANALYZE. This
should prevent autovacuum sneaking in a vacuum at some point in time
after the ANALYZE has taken place.

I don't believe any of the current buildfarm failures can be
attributed to any of the recent changes to autovacuum, but I'll
continue to monitor the farm to see if anything is suspect.

David