Re: UUID v7

From: Andrey Borodin <amborodin86(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, brad(at)peabody(dot)io, wolakk(at)gmail(dot)com, kydavis(at)cisco(dot)com, Nikolay Samokhvalov <samokhvalov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: UUID v7
Date: 2023-02-11 02:53:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 10, 2023 at 5:14 PM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:

> Perhaps we should name the function something like
> gen_time_ordered_random_uuid() instead? That gives us a bit more flexibility
> about what uuid version we generate. And it might be easier for users, anyway.
I think users would be happy with any name.

> Still not sure what version we'd best use for now. Perhaps v8?
V8 is just a "custom data" format. Like "place whatever you want".
Though I agree that its sample implementation looks to be better.

On Fri, Feb 10, 2023 at 5:18 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> > Hm. It seems somewhat worrisome to claim something is a v7 UUID when it might
> > turn out to not be one.
>
> I think there is no need to rush this into v16. Let's wait for the
> standardization process to play out.

Standardization per se does not bring value to users. However, I agree
that eager users can just have it today as an extension and be happy
with it [0].
Maybe it's fine to wait a year for others...

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.

[0] https://github.com/x4m/pg_uuid_next