Re: Proof of concept: standalone backend with full FE/BE protocol

From: Daniel Farina <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proof of concept: standalone backend with full FE/BE protocol
Date: 2012-09-05 21:59:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 2:50 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> On 9/5/12 5:03 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I don't see people wanting to use this feature for unit tests.
>
> If this is going to become an official feature (as opposed to an
> internal interface only for use by pg_upgrade), then I think that's
> exactly what people will want to use it for. In fact, it might even
> make it more likely that people will write unit tests suits to begin with.

I agree with this, even though in theory (but not in practice)
creative use of unix sockets (sorry windows, perhaps some
port-allocating and URL mangling can be done instead) and conventions
for those would allow even better almost-like-embedded results,
methinks. That may still be able to happen.

The biggest improvement to that situation is the recent drastic
reduction in use of shared memory, and that only became a thing recently.

--
fdr