Re: Doc patch, normalize search_path in index

From: Dan Scott <denials(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Karl O(dot) Pinc" <kop(at)meme(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Doc patch, normalize search_path in index
Date: 2012-10-01 03:35:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Karl O. Pinc <kop(at)meme(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The attached patch (against git head)
> normalizes "search_path" as the thing indexed
> and uses a secondary index term to distinguish
> the configuration parameter from the run-time
> setting.

Makes sense to me, although I suspect the conceptual material is
better served by the "search path"-the-concept index entry and the
reference material by the "search_path configuration parameter" entry
(so, from that perspective, perhaps the patch should just be to remove
the "search_path" index entry from the DDL schemas conceptual
section).

> "search path" the concept remains distinguished
> in the index from "search_path" the setting/config param.
> It's hard to say whether it's useful to make this
> distinction.

I think that indexing "search path"-the-concept is useful for
translations, and the Japanese translation includes an index (I
couldn't find the index for the French translation).

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University