Re: New Table Access Methods for Multi and Single Inserts

From: Jacob Champion <jchampion(at)timescale(dot)com>
To: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Luc Vlaming <luc(at)swarm64(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Paul Guo <guopa(at)vmware(dot)com>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: New Table Access Methods for Multi and Single Inserts
Date: 2023-08-01 17:02:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Aug 1, 2023 at 9:31 AM Bharath Rupireddy
<bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Thanks. Finally, I started to spend time on this. Just curious - may
> I know the discussion in/for which this patch is referenced? What was
> the motive? Is it captured somewhere?

It may not have been the only place, but we at least touched on it
during the unconference:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PgCon_2023_Developer_Unconference#Table_AMs

We discussed two related-but-separate ideas:
1) bulk/batch operations and
2) maintenance of TAM state across multiple related operations.

--Jacob