Re: pg_basebackup: errors on macOS on directories with ".DS_Store" files

From: Jacob Champion <jchampion(at)timescale(dot)com>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: Tobias Bussmann <t(dot)bussmann(at)gmx(dot)net>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Mark Guertin <markguertin(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_basebackup: errors on macOS on directories with ".DS_Store" files
Date: 2023-07-06 21:14:59
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Tue, May 2, 2023 at 3:35 AM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> wrote:
> If we deem this to be a bugfix then we should backpatch the solution from HEAD
> imho. So far there are mainly voices for considering it a bugfix, but given
> where we are in the cycle I the RMT has the final say on that.

(Was there an RMT decision?)

My two cents: backpatching an exception for .DS_Store seems good, but
creating an exclusion for all hidden files feels like a surprising
change for stable branches. If your postgresql.conf has something like

include '.my.conf'

then a basebackup of that setup seems to work okay today.

--Jacob