Searchable chess positions in a Postgress DB

From: Sidney Cadot <sidney(at)jigsaw(dot)nl>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Searchable chess positions in a Postgress DB
Date: 2012-04-11 07:15:59
Lists: pgsql-general

Dear all,

As a hobby project, I am toying around with a database containing
about 5 million chess games. On average, these games have about 80
positions (~ 40 moves by both black and white), which means there are
about 400 million chess positions in there.

I have written code to extract these positions, and now I want to put
them into a Postgres database. Specifically, I want to do this in a
way that allows *fast* lookups of positions, e.g. "give me all
positions that have a White King on c4 and either a Black Bishop or
White Knight on f7".

Currently, my "Positions" table looks like this:

Column | Type | Modifiers
-------------------+---------+-----------
gameindex | integer | not null
plyindex | integer | not null
pseudofenboard | text | not null
fenside | text | not null
fencastling | text | not null
fenenpassant | text | not null
possiblemovecount | integer | not null
isincheck | boolean | not null
"positions_pkey" PRIMARY KEY, btree (gameindex, plyindex)
Foreign-key constraints:
"positions_gameindex_fkey" FOREIGN KEY (gameindex) REFERENCES
games(gameindex)

The "PseudoFenBoard" field currently holds a string describing the
position. For example, the starting position of chess looks like this:

"rnbqkbnr/pppppppp/________/________/________/________/PPPPPPPP/RNBQKBNR"

This design allows me to formulate the kind of positional queries that
I want (by using regular expression matching), but executing them will
involve a slow, linear traversal of the 400M table rows, which is not
desirable.

I am toying around with the ugly idea to make a "Positions" table that
has a single field for each of the squares, e.g.

CREATE TABLE Position2 (
GameIndex INTEGER NOT NULL,
PlyIndex INTEGER NOT NULL,
a1 "char" NOT NULL,
a2 "char" NOT NULL,
-- (60 fields defs omitted)
h7 "char" NOT NULL,
h8 "char" NOT NULL
);

This would allow the creation of indices on each of the 64 fields
separately, which should help to achieve near-instantaneous position
query performance, especially after gathering proper statistics for
all the field-specific indices.

I realize that this design is quite ugly, so I would be interested to
hear if there are nicer alternatives that can perform equally well.

Also, above I use the 1-byte "char" type. Is this the only type in
PostGres that is guaranteed to be just a single byte, or are there
better alternatives? A 13-state enum would be best (listing the 6
white pieces, 6 black pieces, and 'empty' states for every square on
the board) but as I understand from the documentation, enums always up
take 4 bytes per entry.

Any ideas for improvement would be greatly appreciated.