Re: Reaping Temp tables to avoid XID wraparound

From: James Sewell <james(dot)sewell(at)jirotech(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>, "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Reaping Temp tables to avoid XID wraparound
Date: 2019-02-18 00:19:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Yeah, possibly. I think that it could be tricky though to get that at
>> a global level in a cheap way. It makes also little sense to only
>> show the temp namespace OID if that information is not enough.
>>

> We could I guess add a field specifically for temp_namespace_xid or such.
> The question is if it's worth the overhead to do that.
>
> Just having the namespace oid is at least enough to know that there is
> potentially something to go look at it. But it doesn't make for automated
> monitoring very well, at least not in systems that have a larger number of
> databases.

You can get the namespace oid today with a JOIN, the issue is that this
isn't enough information to go an look at - at the end of the day it's
useless unless you can remove the temp table or terminate the session which
owns it.

--
The contents of this email are confidential and may be subject to legal or
professional privilege and copyright. No representation is made that this