Re: [HACKERS] Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove pgbench "progress" test pending solution of its timing is (fwd)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove pgbench "progress" test pending solution of its timing is (fwd)
Date: 2019-02-18 00:06:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr> writes:
>> Unfortunately, there was no activity over the last few commitfests and the
>> proposed patch pgbench-tap-progress-6 can't be applied anymore without
>> conflicts. Fabien, what are your plans about it, could you please post a
>> rebased version?

> Here it is.

I'm confused about the intended scope of this patch. The thread title
refers only to adding a regression test, but the actual patch includes
nontrivial C-code changes, and a skim of the recent discussion suggests
that there are some bug fixes involved. Please clarify.

As I think I made clear already, I am not in favor of adding more
timing-sensitive regression tests here. I do not think there is
value commensurate with the risk of intermittent test failures.
However, if we're fixing bugs or poor behavior, that's certainly
worth doing.