Re: why not parallel seq scan for slow functions

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Khandekar <amitdkhan(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: why not parallel seq scan for slow functions
Date: 2017-09-13 04:09:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 5:47 PM, Amit Khandekar <amitdkhan(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On 5 September 2017 at 14:04, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> I started with a quick review ... a couple of comments below :
>
> - * If this is a baserel, consider gathering any partial paths we may have
> - * created for it. (If we tried to gather inheritance children, we could
> + * If this is a baserel and not the only rel, consider gathering any
> + * partial paths we may have created for it. (If we tried to gather
>
> /* Create GatherPaths for any useful partial paths for rel */
> - generate_gather_paths(root, rel);
> + if (lev < levels_needed)
> + generate_gather_paths(root, rel, NULL);
>
> I think at the above two places, and may be in other place also, it's
> better to mention the reason why we should generate the gather path
> only if it's not the only rel.

I think the comment you are looking is present where we are calling
generate_gather_paths in grouping_planner. Instead of adding same or
similar comment at multiple places, how about if we just say something
like "See in grouping_planner where we generate gather paths" at all
other places?

> ----------
>
> - if (rel->reloptkind == RELOPT_BASEREL)
> - generate_gather_paths(root, rel);
> + if (rel->reloptkind == RELOPT_BASEREL &&
> root->simple_rel_array_size > 2)
> + generate_gather_paths(root, rel, NULL);
>
> Above, in case it's a partitioned table, root->simple_rel_array_size
> includes the child rels. So even if it's a simple select without a
> join rel, simple_rel_array_size would be > 2, and so gather path would
> be generated here for the root table, and again in grouping_planner().

Yeah, that could be a problem. I think we should ensure that there is
no append rel list by checking root->append_rel_list. Can you think
of a better way to handle it?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.