Re: CREATE SUBSCRIPTION -- add missing tab-completes

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2023-04-07 09:10:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Apr 7, 2023 at 1:12 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 7, 2023 at 2:28 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Apr 5, 2023 at 5:58 AM Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > >

> > LGTM, so pushed. BTW, while looking at this, I noticed that newly
> > added options "password_required" and "run_as_owner" has incorrectly
> > mentioned their datatype as a string in the docs. It should be
> > boolean.
>
> +1
>
> > I think "password_required" belongs to first section of docs
> > which says: "The following parameters control what happens during
> > subscription creation".
>
> But the documentation of ALTER SUBSCRIPTION says:
>
> The parameters that can be altered are slot_name, synchronous_commit,
> binary, streaming, disable_on_error, password_required, run_as_owner,
> and origin. Only a superuser can set password_required = false.

By the above, do you intend to say that all the parameters that can be
altered are in the second list? If so, slot_name belongs to the first
category.

> ISTM that both password_required and run_as_owner are parameters to
> control the subscription's behavior, like disable_on_error and
> streaming. So it looks good to me that password_required belongs to
> the second section.

Do you mean that because 'password_required' is used each time we make
a connection to a publisher during replication, it should be in the
second category? If so, slot_name is also used during the start
replication each time.

BTW, do we need to check one or both of these parameters in
maybe_reread_subscription() where we "Exit if any parameter that
affects the remote connection was changed."

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.