Re: PG Docs - CREATE SUBSCRIPTION option list order

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2021-04-19 04:08:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 6:32 AM Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 18, 2021, at 8:59 PM, Peter Smith wrote:
>
> The CREATE SUBSCRIPTION documentation [1] includes a list of "WITH"
> options, which are currently in some kind of quasi alphabetical /
> random order which I found unnecessarily confusing.
>
> I can't think of any good reason for the current ordering, so PSA my
> patch which has identical content but just re-orders that option list
> to be alphabetical.
>
> AFAICS there is not reason to use a random order here. I think this parameter
> list is in frequency of use. Your patch looks good to me.

I also agree that the current order is quite random. One idea is to
keep them in alphabetical order as suggested by Peter and the other
could be to arrange parameters based on properties, for example, there
are few parameters like binary, streaming, copy_data which are in some
way related to the data being replicated and others are more of slot
properties (create_slot, slot_name). I see that few parameters among
these have some dependencies on other parameters as well. I noticed
that the other DDL commands like Create Table, Create Index doesn't
have the WITH clause parameters in any alphabetical order so it might
be better if the related parameters can be together here but if we
think it is not a good idea in this case due to some reason then
probably keeping them in alphabetical order makes sense.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.