Re: Unhappy about API changes in the no-fsm-for-small-rels patch

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Unhappy about API changes in the no-fsm-for-small-rels patch
Date: 2019-04-26 03:51:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 12:39 PM John Naylor
<john(dot)naylor(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 1:58 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > <v2 patch>
>
> Sorry for not noticing earlier, but this patch causes a regression
> test failure for me (attached)

Can you please try to finish the remaining work of the patch (I am bit
tied up with some other things)? I think the main thing apart from
representation of map as one-byte or one-bit per block is to implement
invalidation. Also, try to see if there is anything pending which I
might have missed. As discussed above, we need to issue an
invalidation for following points: (a) when vacuum finds there is no
FSM and page has more space now, I think you can detect this in
RecordPageWithFreeSpace (b) invalidation to notify the existence of
FSM, this can be done both by vacuum and backend.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.