Re: Incorrect messages emitted from pgoutput when using column lists

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: Gunnar Morling <gunnar(dot)morling(at)googlemail(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Incorrect messages emitted from pgoutput when using column lists
Date: 2022-11-25 10:08:42
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Fri, Nov 25, 2022 at 8:16 AM houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com
<houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:

> I think the reason is that we didn't filter the column when sending the old
> tuple in pgoutput. We thought that the old tuple won't include columns that not
> in RI, but it seems it will still be null values for such columns in the old
> tuple.

Yes, that is correct. We do fill null values for non-replica identity
columns in the old tuple. See ExtractReplicaIdentity.

> So, I think we'd better filter the column for old tuple as well.

Your fix looks correct to me though I haven't tested it yet.

Can we think of writing a test case using
pg_logical_slot_peek_binary_changes() similar to what we have in
020_messages.pl?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.