Re: Support logical replication of DDLs

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Zheng Li <zhengli10(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, li jie <ggysxcq(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ajin Cherian <itsajin(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Japin Li <japinli(at)hotmail(dot)com>, rajesh singarapu <rajesh(dot)rs0541(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Support logical replication of DDLs
Date: 2023-01-18 11:26:47
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Jan 7, 2023 at 8:58 PM Zheng Li <zhengli10(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I added documentation and changed user interface design in the
> attached v60 patch set.
> The patch set addressed comments from Peter in [1].
>
> The motivation for the user interface change is that we want to manage
> DDL replication feature in stages with fine grained replication
> levels.
> For example, we can focus on reviewing and testing table commands
> first, then other commands. It also make sense to introduce different
> DDL replication levels
> from the user perspective as pointed out in [1]. We can add more
> replication levels along the way.
>
> In this patch DDL replication is disabled by default and it can be
> enabled at different levels
> using the new PUBLICATION option 'ddl'. This option currently has two
> levels and are
> only allowed to be set if the PUBLICATION is FOR ALL TABLES.
>
> all: this option enables replication of all supported DDL commands.
> table: this option enables replication of Table DDL commands which include:
> -CREATE/ALTER/DROP TABLE
> -CREATE TABLE AS

I think this point needs some thought. When you say 'all', how do you
think it will help to support DDL replication for foreign tables,
materialized views, views, etc where changes to such relations are
currently not supported by logical replication? We should also think
about initial sync for all those objects as well.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.