Re: GUC for cleanup indexes threshold.

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Ideriha, Takeshi" <ideriha(dot)takeshi(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Kuntal Ghosh <kuntalghosh(dot)2007(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: GUC for cleanup indexes threshold.
Date: 2017-02-21 15:01:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 1:09 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On 20 February 2017 at 10:27, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>>> Agreed.... which is why

>>> That's not how it works according to the README at least.
>>>

>> I am referring to code (_bt_getbuf()->if (_bt_page_recyclable(page))),
>> won't that help us in reclaiming the space?
>
> Not unless the README is incorrect, no.

Just to ensure that we both have the same understanding, let me try to
write what I understand about this reclaim algorithm. AFAIU, in the
first pass vacuum will mark the half dead pages as Deleted and in the
second pass, it will record such pages as free in FSM so that they can
be reused as new pages when the indexam asked for a new block instead
of extending the index relation. Now, if we introduce this new GUC,
then there are chances that sometimes we skip the second pass where it
would not have been skipped.

Note that we do perform the second pass in the same vacuum cycle when
index has not been scanned for deleting the tuples as per below code:

btvacuumcleanup()
{
..
if (stats == NULL)
{
stats = (IndexBulkDeleteResult *) palloc0(sizeof(IndexBulkDeleteResult));
btvacuumscan(info, stats, NULL, NULL, 0);
..
}

In above code stats won't be NULL, if the vacuum has scanned index for
deleting tuples (btbulkdelete). So, based on this I think it will
skip scanning the index (or recycling pages marked as deleted) in the
second vacuum only when there are no dead tuple removals in that
vacuum. Do we agree till here?
I understand that there could be some delay in reclaiming dead pages
but do you think it is such a big deal that we completely scan the
index for such cases or even try to change the metapage format?

> That section of code is just a retest of pages retrieved from FSM;

Yes, I think you are right. In short, I agree that only vacuum can
reclaim half-dead pages.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.