Re: drop support for Python 2.3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Devrim Gündüz <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: drop support for Python 2.3
Date: 2017-02-21 15:18:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> On 2/19/17 23:33, Devrim Gündüz wrote:
>> Thanks! Looks like buildfarm is green again.

> Thank. I have committed the patch to drop Python 2.3 support.

I spent some time last night building a (rather makeshift) python 2.4.1
installation on prairiedog, which I will now switch it to use in HEAD,
but keeping it pointed at 2.3 for 9.6 and older.

Based on some not-fun I had along the way to that, I think it would be
a good idea to do the Python version check a bit earlier than you have
here. The shlib search in PGAC_CHECK_PYTHON_EMBED_SETUP is pretty fragile
and version-dependent, which means that a person could waste a lot of time
trying to get past the "could not find shared library for Python" error
before being told that their Python is too old. I propose to move the
minimum-version check into _PGAC_CHECK_PYTHON_DIRS, say right after the
[Python configuration directory] stanza. Unless there was some specific
reason for not wanting it to happen in python.m4?