Re: Logical WAL sender unresponsive during decoding commit

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Logical WAL sender unresponsive during decoding commit
Date: 2022-10-20 05:37:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 20, 2022 at 5:17 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > Pushed.
>
> I think this was a good change, but there's at least one other problem
> here: within ReorderBufferRestoreChanges, the while (restored <
> max_changes_in_memory && *segno <= last_segno) doesn't seem to contain
> a CFI. Note that this can loop either by repeatedly failing to open a
> file, or by repeatedly reading from a file and passing the data read
> to ReorderBufferRestoreChange. So I think there should just be a CFI
> at the top of this loop to make sure both cases are covered.

Agreed. The failures due to file operations can make this loop
unpredictable in terms of time, so it is a good idea to have CFI at
the top of this loop.

I can take care of this unless there are any objections or you want to
do it. We have backpatched the previous similar change, so I think we
should backpatch this as well. What do you think?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.