Re: BUG #13498: make check failures

From: Pete Lancashire <pete(at)petelancashire(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #13498: make check failures
Date: 2015-07-13 21:49:36
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I dont at this time have GCC installed. The goal was to be able to take
advantage of optimization that understood the actual hardware

by setting -qarch=pwr7 -qtune=pwr7 the xlc compiler starting at -O3 up to
-O5 make optimization decisions that are unique to the hardware, in this
case the p7 architecture,

O4 and O5 then take it quite a but more, O5 can take what compiles in a a
few second to more then 10 minutes.

It is pretty rare that -O3 used with -strict will break anything, actually
this is the first time I've seen it happen.