Re: Database Designer report at 28/07/2001

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Luis Ochoa <ziul1979(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Database Designer report at 28/07/2001
Date: 2011-07-29 09:04:03
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi Luis

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 2:59 AM, Luis Ochoa <ziul1979(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi, I don't report to this list (just to gsoc one) from some time, mostly
> because I don't want to spam it.

You should do - there's less chance of us rejecting changes if you
keep us up to date :-)

> But, right now I want to share the status at the database modeler as today.
> As you can notice (and test at pgAdmin repository) right now you are able to
> create and save / load a single model in the database designer. A lot of
> bugs have been fixed, and we have now a more stable designer but still is a
> work in progress that will change in some time.

I just gave it a whirl for the first time (using the code committed to
master, so some of these may be fixed), and immediately ran into a few
issues:

- Generating a short table name from a long one caused an assertion.
See the attached screenshot (what's the point of that feature anyway?)

- The table model is so small it's unreadable.

- Another assertion, when trying to add a column.

- The generated SQL lacks quoting of identifiers.

- The generated SQL isn't syntax highlighted.

- We'll also need to work on the icons - I'll probably be able to help
with that.

The other issue I ran into is one of design - when adding a new
column, we should ask for all the properties of the column on a
dialogue at once (can you reuse dlgColumn, or at least
dlgColumn.xrc?). Specifying just the name, and then having to go and
manually adjust the rest of the properties is really quite tedious and
not a good UI design.

> This week and last two I have been working on multiple views for same model
> feature:
>
> This feature will bring some improvements over old one model approach for
> the designer, a slides presentation with this feature can be shown online at
> google docs:
>
> http://goo.gl/XT2Az

Looks interesting... of more interest to me though is reverse
engineering of an existing schema. Is that on your roadmap?

> Right now I still continue working on the feature and so far I have
> implemented a new approach for my hotdraw library that allow me to show in
> different views the same object, in a first step this was done for normal
> graphical objects like squares circles and so far, later it was done for
> polygon figures (harder case because each view can have different number of
> segments and other things).  Later all database designer figures were
> adapted to this new approach, and
> right now I'm working in a way of reusing created objects inside the main
> model in all diagrams (a treeview with that info).

OK. Does that include the renaming we discussed?

> I hope to finish this feature by weekend or middle of next week, it depends
> of bug fixing because it have been a very deeply change in the library, that
> don't allow in their native architecture to show same figure in different
> views at same time.

OK.

> At the presentation is included a screenshot at the end with the proposal
> UI.

s/A probably solution/A probable solution

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Attachment Content-Type Size
Screen Shot 2011-07-29 at 09.52.16.png image/png 83.4 KB
image/png 42.8 KB