Re: Database Designer report at 28/07/2001

From: "Dickson S(dot) Guedes" <listas(at)guedesoft(dot)net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Luis Ochoa <ziul1979(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Database Designer report at 28/07/2001
Date: 2011-07-30 01:20:11
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

2011/7/29 Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>:
> I just gave it a whirl for the first time (using the code committed to
> master, so some of these may be fixed), and immediately ran into a few
> issues:

I tested here (from commit b63c368a84) and have some opinions about
this cool addition to pgAdmin3:

- The icons for "Add an empty table" and "Add a new column to selected
table" are the same, they could be different.

- The "Short Table Name" length is fixed in 3 characters. That could
be customisable.

- When adding a foreign key to a table, if the referenced column type
is 'serial' the reference column should be 'integer', but it stay
'serial' and isn't possible change because the item for this in the
context menu is disabled. So, in this case, it could automatically
create an 'integer' reference column in child table when it references
a 'serial' column in parent and the equivalent for 'bigserial'.

- I have some DOMAINs and TYPEs but they aren't listed when choosing
the field type via context menu. This list could be dynamic or there
could be a text box to type a custom type.

- When I close the DbDesigner window after a change it doesn't ask for
confirmation and when I reopen it the diagram was lost. It could ask
for closing, or clear the diagram only when the 'New model' menu item
(or button) was clicked.

- When open a model, it could ask for saving the previous model if it
has changes.

- The generated SQL table's definition isn't in dependency order when
adding a new parent table to diagram, but the generated script could
be ordered by foreign key dependencies.

- The visual relation line of self referencing tables isn't displayed,
and the reference field couldn't be edited or removed, maybe
displaying the relation line would be enough.

- Compress the generated 'pgd' file using wxZlibInputStream and
wxZlibOutnputStream.

Thanks Luis for this work!

Best regards
--
Dickson S. Guedes
mail/xmpp: guedes(at)guedesoft(dot)net - skype: guediz