Re: Database Designer report at 28/07/2001

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Luis Ochoa <ziul1979(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Database Designer report at 28/07/2001
Date: 2011-07-31 09:19:58
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 2:59 AM, Luis Ochoa <ziul1979(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>> - The table model is so small it's unreadable.
>
> Table figure is generated using as basis the font size, if user change
> default font size for the modeler tables automagically change it.  I'll add
> at next patch a menu item to allow changing the default font and size of
> modeler.

It needs to work out of the box, not when the user adjusts the size
manually. Where is the default set? I can test on Mac and find a
better one.

>> - The generated SQL lacks quoting of identifiers.
>
> SQL generation subsystem will change for next patch, because I want to
> generate tables first and later add constraints to avoid dependencies and
> when I do that I'm going to add this suggestion.  Just to clarify when you
> said quoting of indentifiers we are talking about quoting tables names and
> columns names?

Yes.

>> - The generated SQL isn't syntax highlighted.
>
> Well, right now this wasn't on my schedule but I'll try to do that at last
> week of proposal dedicated to bug hunting and improvement of UI if time is
> enough.

Use a ctlSQLBox instead of a text box and it should just work.

>> Looks interesting... of more interest to me though is reverse
>> engineering of an existing schema. Is that on your roadmap?
>
> Well, in the proposal I have some kind of reverse engineering of tables
> features on my schedule, called table sync because this feature will allow
> to add tables from a schema to the model and then generate a alter table
> instead of a create table for this imported table. But only if model is
> generated to be created at same schema, in other way it generates a create
> table.
>
> This feature allow to choose several tables from same scheme at same time
> and in this way import relationships between selected tables too. But right
> now I haven't any design for it (at the middle of this week after next patch
> I'll start to work on it), and I have not a real idea about how this feature
> will really work.

OK. I'm pretty sure that's a feature that will be requested a lot
(though, probably with CREATEs instead of ALTERs). People will wish to
do something like:

- Generate model from the existing schema.
- Tidy up and annotate the model.
- Print/save.

>> s/A probably solution/A probable solution
>
> :$ sometimes I'm tired and my english that is bad, becomes worst :(

Your English is pretty darn good :-)

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com