Re: a misbehavior of partition row movement (?)

From: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Arne Roland <A(dot)Roland(at)index(dot)de>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: a misbehavior of partition row movement (?)
Date: 2021-01-25 09:06:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 7:03 PM Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 4:13 PM Peter Eisentraut
> > Could you summarize here what you are trying to do with respect to what
> > was decided before? I'm a bit confused, looking through the patches you
> > have posted. The first patch you posted hard-coded FK trigger OIDs
> > specifically, other patches talk about foreign key triggers in general
> > or special case internal triggers or talk about all triggers.
>
> The original problem statement is this: the way we generally fire
> row-level triggers of a partitioned table can lead to some unexpected
> behaviors of the foreign keys pointing to that partitioned table
> during its cross-partition updates.
>
> Let's start with an example that shows how triggers are fired during a
> cross-partition update:
>
> create table p (a numeric primary key) partition by list (a);
> create table p1 partition of p for values in (1);
> create table p2 partition of p for values in (2);
> create or replace function report_trig_details() returns trigger as $$
> begin raise notice '% % on %', tg_when, tg_op, tg_relname; if tg_op =
> 'DELETE' then return old; end if; return new; end; $$ language
> plpgsql;
> create trigger trig1 before update on p for each row execute function
> report_trig_details();
> create trigger trig2 after update on p for each row execute function
> report_trig_details();
> create trigger trig3 before delete on p for each row execute function
> report_trig_details();
> create trigger trig4 after delete on p for each row execute function
> report_trig_details();
> create trigger trig5 before insert on p for each row execute function
> report_trig_details();
> create trigger trig6 after insert on p for each row execute function
> report_trig_details();
>
> insert into p values (1);
> update p set a = 2;
> NOTICE: BEFORE UPDATE on p1
> NOTICE: BEFORE DELETE on p1
> NOTICE: BEFORE INSERT on p2
> NOTICE: AFTER DELETE on p1
> NOTICE: AFTER INSERT on p2
> UPDATE 1
>
> (AR update triggers are not fired.)
>
> For contrast, here is an intra-partition update:
>
> update p set a = a;
> NOTICE: BEFORE UPDATE on p2
> NOTICE: AFTER UPDATE on p2
> UPDATE 1
>
> Now, the trigger machinery makes no distinction between user-defined
> and internal triggers, which has implications for the foreign key
> enforcing triggers on partitions. Consider the following example:
>
> create table q (a bigint references p);
> insert into q values (2);
> update p set a = 1;
> NOTICE: BEFORE UPDATE on p2
> NOTICE: BEFORE DELETE on p2
> NOTICE: BEFORE INSERT on p1
> ERROR: update or delete on table "p2" violates foreign key constraint
> "q_a_fkey2" on table "q"
> DETAIL: Key (a)=(2) is still referenced from table "q".

> [...]

Here is an updated version of the patch with some cosmetic changes
from the previous version. I moved the code being added to
AfterTriggerSaveEvent() and ExecUpdate() into separate subroutines to
improve readability, hopefully.

--
Amit Langote
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
v3-0001-Create-foreign-key-triggers-in-partitioned-tables.patch application/octet-stream 34.2 KB
v3-0002-Enforce-foreign-key-correctly-during-cross-partit.patch application/octet-stream 44.2 KB