Re: a misbehavior of partition row movement (?)

From: Rahila Syed <rahilasyed90(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Arne Roland <A(dot)Roland(at)index(dot)de>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: a misbehavior of partition row movement (?)
Date: 2021-02-18 10:07:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Amit,

> Here is an updated version of the patch with some cosmetic changes
> from the previous version. I moved the code being added to
> AfterTriggerSaveEvent() and ExecUpdate() into separate subroutines to
> improve readability, hopefully.
>
> I tested these patches. It works as expected in case of cross partition
updates, by correctly updating the
referencing table. It works fine for ON UPDATE SET NULL and SET DEFAULT
options as well.
Also, tested by having a table reference only a partition and not the
parent. In this case, the delete
trigger is correctly called when the row is moved out of referenced
partition.

The partition-key-update-1.spec test fails with the following error message
appearing in the diffs.

step s1u3pc: UPDATE foo_range_parted SET a=11 WHERE a=7;
+ERROR: cannot move row being updated to another partition

I think the documentation update is missing from the patches.

Thank you,
Rahila Syed