Re: simplifying foreign key/RI checks

From: Keisuke Kuroda <keisuke(dot)kuroda(dot)3862(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>, Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: simplifying foreign key/RI checks
Date: 2021-01-25 09:06:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi, Amit-san,

Nice patch. I have confirmed that this solves the problem in [1] with
INSERT/UPDATE.

HEAD + patch
name | bytes | pg_size_pretty
------------------+-------+----------------
CachedPlanQuery | 10280 | 10 kB
CachedPlanSource | 14616 | 14 kB
CachedPlan | 13168 | 13 kB ★ 710MB -> 13kB
(3 rows)

> > This patch completely sidesteps the DELETE case, which has more insidious performance implications, but is also far less common, and whose solution will likely be very different.
>
> Yeah, we should continue looking into the ways to make referenced-side
> RI checks be less bloated.

However, as already mentioned, the problem of memory bloat on DELETE remains.
This can be solved by the patch in [1], but I think it is too much to apply
this patch only for DELETE. What do you think?

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/cab4b85d-9292-967d-adf2-be0d803c3e23%40nttcom.co.jp_1

--
Keisuke Kuroda
NTT Software Innovation Center