Re: pgbench-ycsb

From: Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: a(dot)bykov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgbench-ycsb
Date: 2018-07-19 13:50:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 at 15:36, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr> wrote:
>

> Hello Anthony,
>
> > applications with pgbench under different real-life-like load. So that
> > they will be able to see what's going to happen on production.
> >
> > YCSB (Yahoo! Cloud Serving Benchmark) was taken as a concept. YCSB tests
> > were originally designed to facilitate performance comparisons of
> > different cloud data serving systems and it takes into account different
> > application workloads like:
> > workload A - assumes that application do a lot of reads(50%) and
> > updates(50%).
> > workload B - case when application do 95% of cases reads
> > and 5% updates
> > workload C - models behavior of read-only application.
> > workload E - the workload of the applications which in 95% of cases
> > requests for several neighboring tuples and in 5% of cases - does
> > updates.
> >
> > In the patch those workloads were implemented to be executed by pgbench:
> > pgbench -b ycsb-A
>
> Could you provide a link to the specification?
>
> I cannot find something simple, and I was kind of hoping to avoid diving
> into the source code of the java tool on github:-) In particular, I'm
> looking for a description of the expected underlying schema and its size
> (scale) parameters.

There are the description files for different workloads, like [1], (with the
custom amount of records, of course) and the schema [2]. Would this
information be enough?

[1]: https://github.com/brianfrankcooper/YCSB/blob/master/workloads/workloada
[2]: https://github.com/brianfrankcooper/YCSB/blob/master/jdbc/src/main/resources/sql/create_table.sql