Re: pgbench-ycsb

From: a(dot)bykov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru
To: Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgbench-ycsb
Date: 2018-07-19 14:24:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2018-07-19 16:50, Dmitry Dolgov wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 at 15:36, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
>> wrote:
>>

>> Hello Anthony,
>>
>> > applications with pgbench under different real-life-like load. So that
>> > they will be able to see what's going to happen on production.
>> >
>> > YCSB (Yahoo! Cloud Serving Benchmark) was taken as a concept. YCSB tests
>> > were originally designed to facilitate performance comparisons of
>> > different cloud data serving systems and it takes into account different
>> > application workloads like:
>> > workload A - assumes that application do a lot of reads(50%) and
>> > updates(50%).
>> > workload B - case when application do 95% of cases reads
>> > and 5% updates
>> > workload C - models behavior of read-only application.
>> > workload E - the workload of the applications which in 95% of cases
>> > requests for several neighboring tuples and in 5% of cases - does
>> > updates.
>> >
>> > In the patch those workloads were implemented to be executed by pgbench:
>> > pgbench -b ycsb-A
>>
>> Could you provide a link to the specification?
>>
>> I cannot find something simple, and I was kind of hoping to avoid
>> diving
>> into the source code of the java tool on github:-) In particular, I'm
>> looking for a description of the expected underlying schema and its
>> size
>> (scale) parameters.
>
> There are the description files for different workloads, like [1],
> (with the
> custom amount of records, of course) and the schema [2]. Would this
> information be enough?
>
> [1]:
> https://github.com/brianfrankcooper/YCSB/blob/master/workloads/workloada
> [2]:
> https://github.com/brianfrankcooper/YCSB/blob/master/jdbc/src/main/resources/sql/create_table.sql

Hi.
Thanks for your feedback, I'll fix it soon.
Actually I used the article "Brian F. Cooper, Adam Silberstein, Erwin
Tam,
Raghu Ramakrishnan and Russell Sears. Benchmarking Cloud Serving Systems
with YCSB. ACM Symposium on Cloud Computing (SoCC), Indianapolis, IN,
USA, 2010"
It is available here:
https://github.com/brianfrankcooper/YCSB/wiki/Papers-and-Presentations

But maybe an article is more complicated then your example.

--
Anthony Bykov
The Russian Postgres Company