Re: Tab completion regression test failed on illumos

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Japin Li <japinli(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tab completion regression test failed on illumos
Date: 2023-11-03 01:22:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Nov 3, 2023 at 3:42 AM Japin Li <japinli(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Nov 2023 at 22:23, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> > Japin Li <japinli(at)hotmail(dot)com> writes:
> >> It seems the 'SEL\t' is converted to 'SEL ' which is "SEL" with 5 spaces.
> >
> > That would be plausible if readline were disabled, or otherwise
> > not functioning.
> >

> I think this might be a bug comes from Illumos pseudo-tty. I can reproduce
> this by using pseudo-tty on Illumos.

I don't know but my guess is that this has to do with termios defaults
being different. From a quick look at 'man termios', perhaps TABDLY
is set to expand tabs to spaces? Can you fix it by tweaking the flags
in src/common/sprompt.c? Somewhere near the line that disables ECHO,
perhaps you can figure out how to disable that in c_oflag? This is
all the ancient forgotten magic that allows all Unixes to drive 70
year old electric typewriters, inserting suitable pauses and
converting various things as it goes.