Re: Change JOIN tutorial to focus more on explicit joins

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
Cc: Jürgen Purtz <juergen(at)purtz(dot)de>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Change JOIN tutorial to focus more on explicit joins
Date: 2021-03-15 02:47:15
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 2:06 AM David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net> wrote:
> On 12/1/20 3:38 AM, Jürgen Purtz wrote:
> > OK. Patch attached.

+ Queries which access multiple tables (including repeats) at once are called

I'd write "Queries that" here (that's is a transatlantic difference in
usage; I try to proofread these things in American mode for
consistency with the rest of the language in this project, which I
probably don't entirely succeed at but this one I've learned...).

Maybe instead of "(including repeats)" it could say "(or multiple
instances of the same table)"?

+ For example, to return all the weather records together with the
location of the
+ associated city, the database compares the <structfield>city</structfield>
column of each row of the <structname>weather</structname> table with the
<structfield>name</structfield> column of all rows in the
<structname>cities</structname>
table, and select the pairs of rows where these values match.

Here "select" should agree with "the database" and take an -s, no?

+ keywords. The tables are simply listed in the <literal>FROM</literal>,
+ comma-separated, and the comparison expression added to the
+ <literal>WHERE</literal> clause.

Could we mention SQL92 somewhere? Like maybe "This syntax pre-dates
the JOIN and ON keywords, which were introduced by SQL-92". (That's a
"non-restrictive which", I think the clue is the comma?)