Re: Adding CI to our tree

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Subject: Re: Adding CI to our tree
Date: 2022-03-10 02:43:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 10, 2022 at 9:37 AM Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 09, 2022 at 10:12:54AM -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
> > On 2022-03-09 11:47:23 -0600, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > > I'm curious what you think of this patch.
> > >
> > > It makes check-world on freebsd over 30% faster - saving 5min.
> >
> > That's nice! While -Og makes interactive debugging noticeably harder IME, it's
> > not likely to be a large enough difference just for backtraces etc.
>
> Yeah. gcc(1) claims that -Og can improve debugging.

Wow, I see the effect on Cirrus -- test_world ran in 8:55 instead of
12:43 when I tried (terrible absolute times, but fantastic
improvement!). Hmm, on my local FreeBSD 13 box I saw 5:07 -> 5:03
with this change. My working theory had been that there is something
bad happening in the I/O stack under concurrency making FreeBSD on
Cirrus/GCP very slow (ie patterns to stall on slow cloud I/O waits,
something I hope to dig into when post-freeze round tuits present
themselves), but that doesn't gel with this huge improvement from
noodling with optimiser details, and I don't know why I don't see
something similar locally. I'm confused.

Just BTW it's kinda funny that we say -ggdb for macOS and then we use
lldb to debug cores in cores_backtrace.sh. I suppose it would be more
correct to say -glldb, but doubt it matters much...