Re: Adding CI to our tree

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Subject: Re: Adding CI to our tree
Date: 2022-03-09 20:37:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 09, 2022 at 10:12:54AM -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2022-03-09 11:47:23 -0600, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > I'm curious what you think of this patch.
> >
> > It makes check-world on freebsd over 30% faster - saving 5min.
>
> That's nice! While -Og makes interactive debugging noticeably harder IME, it's
> not likely to be a large enough difference just for backtraces etc.

Yeah. gcc(1) claims that -Og can improve debugging.

I should've mentioned that this seems to mitigate the performance effect of
--coverage on linux, too.

> I'm far less convinced that using "MaxSpeed" for the msvc build is a good
> idea. I've looked at one or two backtraces of optimized msvc builds and
> backtraces were quite a bit worse - and they're not great to start with. What
> was the win there?

Did you compare FULL optimization or "favor speed/size" or "default"
optimization ?

It's worth trading some some build time (especially with a compiler cache) for
test time (especially with alltaptests). But I didn't check backtraces, and I
didn't compare the various optimization options. The argument may not be as
strong for windows, since it has no build cache (and it has no -Og). We'd save
a bit more when also running the other tap tests.

CI runs are probably not very consistent, but I've just run
https://cirrus-ci.com/task/5236145167532032
master is the average of 4 patches at the top of cfbot.

/ master / patched / change
subscription / 197s / 195s / +2s
recovery / 234s / 212s / -22s
bin / 383s / 373s / -10s