Re: Bogus collation version recording in recordMultipleDependencies

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bogus collation version recording in recordMultipleDependencies
Date: 2021-05-07 10:01:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, May 6, 2021 at 9:23 AM Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:
> On 5/5/21 5:12 PM, Thomas Munro wrote:
> > On Thu, May 6, 2021 at 8:58 AM Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:
> >> this is an open item for release 14 . The discussion seems to have gone
> >> silent for a couple of weeks. Are we in a position to make any
> >> decisions? I hear what Andres says, but is anyone acting on it?
> > I'm going to revert this and resubmit for 15. That'll give proper
> > time to reconsider the question of whether pg_depend is right for
> > this, and come up with a non-rushed response to the composite type
> > problem etc.
>
> OK, thanks.

Reverted. Rebasing notes:

1. Commit b4c9695e moved toast table declarations so I adapted to the
new scheme, but commit 0cc99327 had taken the OIDs that pg_collation
was previously using, so I had to pick some new ones from the
temporary range for later reassignment.

2. It took me quite a while to figure out that the collversion column
now needs BKI_DEFAULT(_null_), or the perl script wouldn't accept the
contents of pg_collation.dat.

3. In a separate commit, I rescued a few sentences of text from the
documentation about libc collation versions and reinstated them in the
most obvious place, because although the per-index tracking has been
reverted, the per-collation version tracking (limited as it is) is now
back and works on more OSes than before.