Re: Bump MIN_WINNT to 0x0600 (Vista) as minimal runtime in 16~

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Juan José Santamaría Flecha <juanjo(dot)santamaria(at)gmail(dot)com>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bump MIN_WINNT to 0x0600 (Vista) as minimal runtime in 16~
Date: 2022-07-06 20:46:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jul 6, 2022 at 7:28 PM Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 03:14:16PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> > Actually, this can go with the bump of MIN_WINNT as it uses one of the
> > IsWindows*OrGreater() macros as a runtime check. And there are two
> > more places in pg_ctl.c that can be similarly cleaned up.
> >
> > It is possible that I have missed some spots, of course.
>
> It does not seem to be the case on a second look. The buildfarm
> animals running Windows are made of:
> - hamerkop, Windows server 2016 (based on Win10 AFAIK)
> - drongo, Windows server 2019
> - bowerbird, Windows 10 pro
> - jacana, Windows 10
> - fairywren, Msys server 2019
> - bichir, Ubuntu/Windows 10 mix
>
> Now that v16 is open for business, any objections to move on with this
> patch and bump MIN_WINNT to 0x0A00 on HEAD? There are follow-up items
> for large pages and more.

+1 for proceeding. This will hopefully unblock a few things, and it's
good to update our claims to match the reality of what we are actually
testing and able to debug.

The build farm also has frogmouth and currawong, 32 bit systems
running Windows XP, but they are only testing REL_10_STABLE so I
assume Andrew will decommission them in November.