Re: pg_ctl on windows can't open postmaster.pid: Permission denied

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_ctl on windows can't open postmaster.pid: Permission denied
Date: 2019-03-29 11:13:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 5:01 PM Thomas Munro
<thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 4:24 PM, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Buildfarm animal thrips just failed with a curious error:
> > https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=thrips&dt=2017-12-13%2002%3A27%3A27
> >
> > ============== shutting down postmaster ==============
> > pg_ctl: could not open PID file "C:/buildfarm/buildenv/HEAD/pgsql.build/src/test/regress/./tmp_check/data/postmaster.pid": Permission denied
> >
> > otherwise there were no failures.
> >
> > I wonder if we're not opening the file with the right options to allow
> > us to open it while it's opened for writes in another backend? In the
> > backend we do so via FILE_SHARE_READ pgwin32_open which backs open and
> > fopen in backend code.
>
> Yeah, pg_ctl.c must be using fopen directly (from Windows' libc/crt).
> A sharing violation would indeed appear as errno == EACCES by my
> reading of the docs so that matches your theory. I think this code
> should use pgwin32_fopen on Windows.

dory failed like this today:

============== shutting down postmaster ==============
pg_ctl: could not open PID file
"c:/pgbuildfarm/pgbuildroot/HEAD/pgsql.build/src/test/regress/./tmp_check/data/postmaster.pid":
Permission denied

This is probably a stupid question, but after commit 0ba06e0,
shouldn't pg_ctl.c have fopen defined as pgwin32_fopen by port.h,
because it was included by c.h, because it was included by
postgres_fe.h?

--
Thomas Munro
https://enterprisedb.com