Re: Apple's ranlib warns about protocol_openssl.c

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Apple's ranlib warns about protocol_openssl.c
Date: 2021-12-17 01:26:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Dec 17, 2021 at 9:38 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> writes:
> >> On 16 Dec 2021, at 19:22, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> >> Having said that, I'm not seeing any such warning when I build
> >> with openssl 1.1.1k on my own Mac, so I'm a bit confused why
> >> Thomas sees it.
>
> > Maybe it's dependant on macOS/XCode release? I see the warning on my Catalina
> > laptop.
>
> Could be. I tried it on Monterey, but not anything older.
> (longfin is still on Big Sur, because I've been lazy about
> updating it.)

Hmm. Happened[1] with Andres's CI scripts, which (at least on the
version I used here, may not be his latest) runs on macOS Monterey and
installs openssl from brew which is apparently 3.0.0. Wild guess:
some versions of openssl define functions, and some define macros, and
here we're looking for the macros?

https://cirrus-ci.com/task/6100205941555200