Re: BUG #16663: DROP INDEX did not free up disk space: idle connection hold file marked as deleted

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Borisov <pashkin(dot)elfe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #16663: DROP INDEX did not free up disk space: idle connection hold file marked as deleted
Date: 2020-12-01 02:48:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 6:59 PM Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 8:00 AM Pavel Borisov <pashkin(dot)elfe(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > The new status of this patch is: Ready for Committer

> ... That's the version I plan to commit tomorrow, unless
> there are further comments or objections. ...

Done, and back-patched.

I thought a bit more about the fact that we fail to unlink
higher-numbered segments in certain error cases, potentially leaving
stray files behind. As far as I can see, nothing we do in this
code-path is going to be a bullet-proof solution to that problem. One
simple idea would be for the checkpointer to refuse to unlink segment
0 (thereby allowing the relfilenode to be recycled) until it has
scanned the parent directory for any related files that shouldn't be
there.

> While looking at trace output, I figured we should just use
> truncate(2) on non-Windows, on the master branch only. It's not like
> it really makes much difference, but I don't see why we shouldn't
> allow ourselves to use ancient standardised Unix syscalls when we can.

Also pushed, but only to master.